Quitting the cardboard crack addiction

It is the worst kept secret in the world of table top gaming:  Magic the Gathering can be more expensive than a drug addiction.   The game has not earned the moniker cardboard crack for nothing, as MTG is equally as addictive as it is a drain on your wallet.   And to their credit, Hasbro has successfully monetized this 30 year old game to prop up their bottom line.

Up till now I typically buy all the Commander decks, a collector's box and a set or draft box of each new set. This package of new sealed product cost me $760 CDN when pre-ordered for Strixhaven in 2021.  Today for Commander Masters, the same items will run $1667.   When you factor in the rapid release cycle, all the new Secret Lairs, and of course new gimmicks like the new add-on sets (MoM Aftermath) keeping up with everything Wizards is pumping out is simply not doable.

Wizards is clearly more concerned with the bottom line than it is with the satisfaction, trust or loyalty of their customers.  So in response to the blatant profiteering and gouging of customers, I find it time for me to take a stand.  I am not quitting the game, at least not anytime soon, but rather I'm quitting being a customer of Wizards.  

From here on in, I will recycle my large collection, trading with friends or selling cards to buy singles in order to acquire the cards I want.   Instead of spending thousands a year on Magic the Gathering, I am going to boycott any new cards printed from LOTR on, meaning no Commander Masters, no Dr. Who or any other Secret Lairs will find their way into my collection and no wasting good money hoping to pull a serialized card.    I am content with deckbuilding from just the first 30 years or so of cards.

The only way for us as magic players is to get the message through to Wizards is if more players take a similar stand.   With every new release we see another wave of people posting to social media complaining about the price.  Don't complain about the prices, stop buying product.   Demand Wizards do what is right for the game by slowing down the release cycle and making the game approachable for new players (mostly kids and students) with limited budgets.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Magic The Gathering Commander Decks for Sale

Current list of my commander decks